Gary, my mate in South Australia is a Radio Controll model plane nutter and I’ve long been interested myself. I have small chopper that I practice on but I found it too difficult. Like…start up….lift off…crash into ground…start up….lift off…crash into ground…repeat several times…go to hobby shop and buy more blades then start up….lift off…crash into ground…repeat several more times.
I felt I needed to have a real flying licence endorsed for Blackhawk to be able to fly but technology has stepped in, in the form of a pocket drone.
Start up…fly! Much better – I can now concentrate on photos and videos of my bush 4WD expeditions rather than the actual flying. Take your hand off the stick and it hovers; battery almost flat and it returns to base. With a “Follow Me” mode it will be easy to film driving the old Rangie up steep inclines and across rivers. Great videos to further bore my kids and friends.
It’s all about software.
Advanced software and systems with autopilot and “follow me” mode
- State of the art flight controls, algorithms and connectivity
- APM compatible flight controller 6-axis accelerometers, 3 axis gyroscopes, barometric sensor (altitude)
- Integrated onboard autopilot Flight planning with Google Maps
- Fly by GPS waypoints
- “Follow Me” mode (requires mobile device with GPS)
- Altitude Hold
- Return to home (RTH)
- Headfree mode (orientation independent flying)
- Load/Save and repeat/replay flight missions
- Real-time flight data
- Artificial Horizon
- Altitude Heading indicator
- GPS signal strength
- PC, Mac and Linux compatible
- Mission Planner or QGroundControl Compatible
- Android compatible (tablet and phone)
- iOS compatibility coming soon
Available in late April in the US I look forward to another great challenge – controlling drones.
More here if you are interested